Saturday, September 22, 2012

Where do we go from here?

I love J's Urologist. He has always made things easy to understand. He explains the numbers of the SA in a way that the RE's don't. He's straight forward about what would be the best way for us to have children.  After our WTF appointment with the RE, we decided to go back to the Urologist. Maybe a final effort to figure out if there was anything anything anything we could do to improve the numbers, I guess? The whole thing about donor sperm kept coming up and we wanted to be totally certain there wasn't anything else that could help J's swimmers.

The urologist things we're nuts for thinking about donor sperm. And I'm so thankful for that because while I would have really considered it, it would have been a huge, huge issue for me and in the long run, I'm just not sure if I could have gotten to the point where I would be 1000% comfortable with it. But I digress. He thinks J has plenty of sperm. The problem doesn't really lie with count, but with motility. J doesn't have a lot of sperm, but he REALLY doesn't have a lot of motile sperm. And because of this, we are doing ourselves a disservice by having only one egg to work with. I knew all along that he wasn't really a fan of Natural Cycle IVF, but the idea of no drugs was so appealing and when we got that insurance coverage- we figured we would try it. He did give J Clomid, but said it will really only help with count, not so much motility. He suggested Conception Rx for Motility (the expensive one blahhh) and traditional IVF with ISCI.

He wants J to give a sample the day before retrieval and then again the day of. He said there is a way to "warm" the sperm (WTF that means I have no idea?) that will help them distinguish the good from the bad. If there are no good sperm, they will do an emergency biopsy and take sperm right from the testicle that day.

So where do we go from here. Well I cancelled our Natural Cycle IVF cycle. We are going back to the first RE that we went to. They have significantly better success rates with traditional IVF than the clinic we are going to now. And even though it's kind of like a factory- they are good at what they do. We have a consult set up for October 9th. They will likely make me repeat my HSG and then we're going on vacation for Thanksgiving so that puts us on BCP's for November and cycling in December/January. More freakin waiting. It's like a curse.

This is our original path. So I feel confident. And now with good insurance we have three cycles to deal with. I think if it doesn't work in three cycles, we'll be done. I don't know if I can take much more than that. So we'll see. For now, we wait. Again.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad the Uro was able to give you more confidence in a bio child for J. And while I understand your reasoning for natural IVF, I think going with a medicated IVF is a great idea. Glad you have a plan and path ahead of you sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much waiting! But good news. You deserve a medal for patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the urologist was able to help you understand things so much better and give you the confidence and hope you needed! I'm glad to hear good news, and I'm so excited for you! lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to hoping the next three months fly by. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this idea, but maybe I'm partial! ;) Praying for a good outcome for you guys!

    ReplyDelete