Sunday, May 15, 2011

A tale of two hospital visits

Yikes. It's been forever since I blogged. JC had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery on Monday May 9th. And I'm *just* now finding the time to blog about it. It's been hella crazy.

Have some popcorn. This could be long.

So we wake up to go to the hospital. We're joined by my mother and my Crazycakes MIL. (I swear- I think it's a rule that your MIL has to be a crazycakes.) JC goes into surgery and I'm a wreck. And my ears are bleeding because my mother and Crazycakes are talking each other to DEATH. Surgery was supposed to be about two and half hours. So when we were rolling up on three hours, I was near puking from nervousness. Dr. Mo (awesome surgeon who also did my surgery) called me and told me that he was out of surgery and doing well. He did the bypass and also repaired the hiatal hernia. He also said that he found another hernia in his diaphragm that was repaired as well. PHEW. Holy Crap. I was so nervous. So we get to his room and he's SUPER out of it- Dr. Mo also said he's impossible to get to stay asleep. He kept waking up during surgery so they basically had to drug the shit out of him. His worst surgical fear came true- he had a catheter in when he came out of surgery. He was pretty out of it all day Monday. He even made a joke in his half away and mostly drugged state about taking out the catheter and taking me in the bathroom. In front of our MOMS. How romantic and super awkward all at the same time. I left him there that night (worst feeling ever- leaving the hospital without him) and came back Tuesday to a much more awake husband who had zero recollection of the previous days events or jokes. So we walked the halls and they took the catheter out. And he was feeling great- no pain meds even. Dr. Mo's PA came in and said he was doing great and could go home that day. Yahoo! The nurse said he would get one more dose of Toradol- an anti-inflammatory drug before we left the hospital. So we go home and he was desperate to nap in a comfy bed without an IV pole attached to him. He napped and then the shit hit the fan.

About 5 hours after we left the hospital, he started having some pretty extreme abdominal pain. He was taking the narcotics that the surgeon gave him, but they weren't helping at all. He couldn't sit anywhere that was comfortable. He couldn't get up and down from a seated position. He could barely move. We were up all night long trying to manage his pain. I woke up (Wednesday morning)after a three hour stretch to find him sitting in our living room with tears running down his face. It was time to call the doctor. So we paged Dr. Mo. He called back and told JC to come into the office. We go there and they took his blood pressure- 187/120!! Holy Crap. He sent him for a CT scan to make sure everything looked ok on the inside. Except CT scan meant he had to lie down. Ouch. More tears. Sadface.

We went back to Dr. Mo who decided to readmit him to the hospital to figure out what was going on and try to manage his pain. I went home to get stuff and of course my mind is racing- is he going to need surgery again? Should I call Crazycakes? Is he going to be ok? What happens next? Like 1000 questions. I get back to the hospital and they have already repeated the Upper GI test (used in gastric bypass patients to determine if there is a leak in the new stomach) and that came back normal. He told me that he had finally farted and had some diarrhea (Sorry, TMI). And normally this wouldn't have been a big deal, but when you have laproscopic surgery like he did- they fill your body with air to make your organs float so they can see better and all that gas is super painful. So him farting and moving his bowels is a super awesome thing. They started him back on Toradol in the hospital as well. And finally he had some relief from the pain. They said he'd have to stay to be monitored at least one night, but maybe more. And for realz- I was so glad they were keeping him. After Tuesday night- I couldn't manage it by myself so it was good that they were going to take care of him. I knew he wasn't in pain anymore so that was good. Dr. Mo continued to watch him and he kept taking Toradol. Thursday was good- he was walking around again, having less and less pain, still moving the bowels, drinking- all good things. They said he could go home Friday. PHEW PHEW PHEW. Everything is going to be ok.

Friday morning he developed the super nose of an 8 week pregnant lady. He could smell EVERYTHING and it was making him sick. And nothing tasted good. I thought it was just the hospital smells, but we were finally discharged and came home and sadly- our house stinks, I stink. Everything stinks. I'm hoping it will get better. So since being home- he is doing really great. Eating soup, drinking, taking his vitamins. We're going for short walks and he's feeling better each day. What a crazy ass week it's been. I've missed another week of work and I'm dreading going back tomorrow. I'm dreading leaving him home by himself and I have no desire to see my manager. But the most important thing is that JC is ok.

For real. If you read all that- you are awesomesauce.


  1. I was so confused when I saw he was in the hospital again on FB. I swore you had emailed me that he was home. Anyway, I'm so glad he's feeling better now! And LOLz about the dirty jokes with your moms there! Too funny.

    I hope your return to work isn't as bad as you think it'll be. ((hugs))

  2. Wow! What an ordeal! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better and is well on his way to recovery.

  3. Whoa, Kath. You two have been through the ringer. I'm so sorry, and I hope J's on the upswing now. Thinking of you tonight.

  4. I'm so glad he is back home and ok! I had to giggle at "Crazycakes" though :)

  5. So happy he is ok. Those surgeries can be so risky and truly happy it all worked out!!! Best of luck to him and a speady recover!!!